(Prepared for Celebration Sunday, April 27, 1997)
Back in the 1870s a number of families caught a vision to start a Baptist Church in the newly formed Village of Wyoming. At first, they met in homes and then were able to purchase land at the corner of Toronto and Ontario Street. On February 8, 1879, a fine brick sanctuary (4,000 sq.ft.) was erected. A dedication service followed on August 17, 1897.
God led the congregation through various phases of ministry. At times, they combined with other Baptist churches in the area to form a multi-point field of service. For several other years, the church was served by student pastors. The people remained faithful in ministry and in service to their Lord.
In the spring of 1961, an addition was built to add a Sunday School hall, washrooms and a kitchen. Since 1972 the Church has been self-supporting with full-time ministers. The fall of 1976 saw the addition of a portable, which gave three more classrooms and the pastor's study.
In recent years, our numbers continued to increase and a need for space was obvious. In May of 1990, a Vision for the Future Committee was formed to evaluate the present situation. At that time, Rev. Ken Morgan was the pastor. A decision was made to purchase land. God led us to the perfect site on Broadway Street, which had belonged to Mr. and Mrs. Kovachik, who had been beloved members of this church. The land was purchased and the site was dedicated on June 7, 1992 to His glory.
Each year the people and friends of Wyoming Baptist Church gave faithfully to the Expansion Fund. The Vision Committee remained active, working on conceptual drawings and making plans. Pastor Dave Bonney came with his family in August 1995 and God continued to bless us. Then on May 30, 1996, the final building plans were accepted by the congregation. A Sod Turning Ceremony was held on September 8, 1996 and construction began the next day.
Through the faithful service of many church volunteers, the help of workers from Don Hawkey Construction, and the labor of local craftsmen, the task was brought to completion. A special service was held, entitled "Standing on the Promises" at which the church family wrote their favorite verses on the floor prior to laying the carpet. February 23, 1997 was the Transition Sunday to say farewell to the old building and come into the new. April 26 and 27 marked the Celebration weekend, where present and past attendees and the community were invited to celebrate God's hand of grace upon us. God's leading has been seen as each step of faith was taken.